When drinking alcohol becomes a destructive force in your life, quitting can open new doors and allow growth you never imagined was possible. Alcoholism has been a problem in the United States for centuries. If the need to consume more alcohol to get relief causes people to make bad decisions and behave inappropriately, they may have an alcohol use disorder (AUD). To continue drinking alcohol even when it causes trouble physically and socially is another sign that a change needs to be made. Otherwise, there could be some irreversible damage down the line. AUD has different stages, with alcoholism being the most severe. You can have alcohol use disorder without being an alcoholic, but that does not mean that your excessive drinking is easy to solve. AUD can be treated through a comprehensive detox program. It is during this stage that alcohol is thoroughly flushed from the body. It takes approximately two to three weeks for withdrawal symptoms to abate. For some people, who suffer from severe symptoms, it will take longer. An alcohol addiction treatment center may be the answer to your drinking problem.
What to Expect from a Portland Alcohol Rehab
By entering an alcohol addiction teletherapy program, you have made the right choice to prioritize your health and wellness. Getting sober isn’t easy; it takes a lifelong commitment. But it is worth it to finally be free of the hold that your alcohol use disorder has on you. There are many treatments and therapy options available; acknowledging any mental health disorders you are dealing with will help put together a plan that can lead you to many more years of good health and happiness.
There is an adjustment period that does take time. Withdrawal symptoms are often unpredictable and affect each person differently. It is often vital for your well-being for people to detox under the care of medical professionals. Under Sunstone’s expert supervision, you will be able to focus on your own recovery and not be forced to combat this disease on your own. Many people fear the withdrawal symptoms and keep imbibing, thinking the cure is worse than the disorder. Don’t be one of them.
Minor Alcohol Detox Symptoms
More Severe Alcohol Detox Symptoms
- Delirium tremens (only experienced by 5% of people)
When drinking alcohol becomes a preoccupation and growing problem, needing more alcohol to feel the same high you felt before can cause people to make bad decisions and behave inappropriately. It isn’t easy to realize that you have alcohol use disorder, but this realization might end up saving your life if you are willing to attend treatment. However, a Portland alcohol rehab can help you turn the corner in your recovery. The following are five of the risks of alcohol abuse:
- Liver Disease – When alcohol metabolizes in the liver, it turns toxic. It can cause an irreversible metabolic condition known as fatty liver, where too much fat gets produced by changes in liver metabolism.
- A Shrinking Brain – Alcohol use disorder can cause the frontal lobes of the brain to shrink.
- Pancreatitis – 70% of cases of pancreatitis are related to alcohol consumption. The cause involves a chemical reaction created by excessive drinking that inflames the pancreas.
- Cancer – Many forms of cancer are caused by excessive drinking. Smoking tobacco and drinking too much alcohol combine to increase the chances of contracting cancer in the respiratory and upper gastrointestinal tracts.
- Heart Disease – Heart disease can be caused by high blood pressure due to alcohol use disorder.
Contact Us for Addiction Treatment Near Portland, Oregon
At Sunstone Recovery in Bend, Oregon, we have transitioned to a virtual telemedicine approach during the pandemic so that we may serve the greater Oregon region. We offer IOP, PHP, crisis stabilization, and virtual detox. We can be reached online or at 855.833.9199 for you to take the first step on your journey to wellness and recovery.