Substance use disorder or addiction is a disease that can affect anyone at any time. When it does so, it’s vital individuals get the professional help necessary to heal. While some individuals can be treated and overcome their substance abuse through treatment, sometimes the addiction is caused by an underlying issue. Often, individuals aren’t even aware they have an underlying mental health issue. But if their mental health isn’t addressed alongside their addiction, the risk of relapse greatly increases. Thus, Sunstone Recovery offers a mental health dual diagnosis treatment program at an dual diagnosis treatment center in Bend, OR. Here clients get the attention and treatment they need to identify, address, and overcome the substance abuse and mental health issues confronting them. In so doing, they lay the groundwork for a lasting recovery.
What Is Dual Diagnosis?
Substance use disorder or addiction causes a person to lose control of how much or often they use alcohol or a legal or illegal drug or medication. Regardless of an individual’s awareness of the harm they care, causing to themselves or others, the disease compels them to use. Often, an individual’s drug or alcohol use is a symptom of a deeper mental health issue. When this is the case, professionals refer to it as a co-occurring disorder or dual diagnosis.
When an individual’s substance abuse is a symptom of an underlying mental health issue such as depression, anxiety, or PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), it’s typically an attempt at self-medication. The substance abused temporarily and superficially relieves pain and discomfort the individual is experiencing. Unfortunately, like all illnesses, when left untreated, the mental health issue only worsens. Thus, the individual begins to become dependent on substances in a vicious cycle.
Dual Diagnosis Therapy Programs
No matter the substance use disorder, you are confronting, Sunstone Recovery has a treatment program to help. Within our mental health dual diagnosis treatment program, we provide numerous therapeutic options. Because each client has different needs experiencing addiction and recovery in their way, we offer as many approaches as possible. For example, some of our therapies include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy: This therapy looks to reverse negative thought patterns and restructure the way individuals think. It moves the focus to positive emotions, behaviors, and thoughts.
- Dialectical behavior therapy: A kind of cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy address the regulation of emotions. Some individuals struggle with expressing themselves appropriately in various situations. DBT teaches individuals how to control and appropriately express their emotional responses in healthy rather than damaging ways.
- Psychotherapy program: The basis for most talk therapy. Psychotherapy works with individuals to help them recognize and express the deep-seated, often hidden issues they have, contributing to their addictive behavior or putting them at risk for further substance abuse.
- Trauma therapy: Often, individuals turn to drugs and alcohol as a means to deal with or obscure some past trauma. This type of therapy strives to reveal and confront trauma so that it doesn’t dictate an individual’s behavior. Trauma therapy looks to heal the mind as well as the body making it an exceptionally useful therapy in a mental health dual diagnosis treatment program.
These therapies, alongside individual, group, and family therapy, cover nearly all areas of client needs in addressing their substance use disorder in our mental health dual diagnosis treatment program.
Addiction Treatment Programs at Sunstone Recovery
With the right treatment, you can lower or prevent relapse. With Sunstone Recovery’s mental health dual diagnosis treatment program, clients get the care they need to make a lasting recovery. Getting sober requires professional support. Our programs provide clients with the resources and skills they’ll need to cope with cravings and overcome triggers. For instance, some of our treatments include:
- Anxiety treatment program
- Depression treatment program
- Mood disorder treatment program
- PTSD treatment program
Contact Sunstone Recovery
So contact Sunstone Recovery today at 855.833.9199. We can guide you or a loved one through the treatment options that will best suit your needs.